Monday, December 21, 2009

NASPE Beginner Teacher Standards

Standard 1: Scientific and Theoretical Knowledge
Physical education teacher candidates know and apply discipline-specific scientific and theoretical concepts critical to the development of physically educated individuals.

To be successful as a physical education teacher, one must know how the body works. So far in my college career, I have take Anatomy I and II, Biomechanics, Motor Development and in the Fall of 2010, I will be taking Exercise Physiology and Motor Behavior. These classes are crucial as I will need to know how to explain to my students how to perform certain body movements.

Standard 2: Skill-Based and Fitness-Based Competence
Physical education teacher candidates are physically educated individuals with the knowledge and skills necessary to demonstrate competent movement performance and health-enhancing fitness as delineated in NASPE's K-12 Standards


Activity classes are not just for fun, they teach us proper form and also different methods of teaching different skills. So far in my college career I have taken Rhythm and Dance, Tactical Concepts, Skill Acquisition, Racket Activities, Adventure Activities and Aquatics. All of these classes have taught me the correct ways of performing skills and I now will be able to demonstrate them properly to my future students.

Standard 3: Planning and Implementation.
Physical education teacher candidates plan and implement developmentally appropriate learning experiences aligned with local, state and national standards to address the diverse needs of all students.


As a teacher, you must be able to have a flexible lesson. Not all students learn at the same level so you cannot teach as if they do. In my 255 class, and also in the CHAMP program last semester, I have had to repeatedly alter some lessons to fit the needs of certain students. I will have more practice with this in the future as I will be in the Adaptive Physical Education class in Spring of 2010.

Standard 4: Instructional Delivery and Management.
Physical education teacher candidates use effective communication and pedagogical skills and strategies to enhance student engagement and learning.


As a teacher, especially as a physical education teacher, you must have a loud and clear voice. This will ensure that your message gets across to the students. Also, to enhance learning, you can use visual aids. The visual aids should be very bright and creative so it "hooks" the students into the lesson.

Standard 5: Impact on Student Learning
Physical education teacher candidates utilize assessments and reflection to foster student learning and to inform instructional decisions.


This semester I was a "mentor" for Dr. Malmberg's EXS 197 class. In this class, we used many assessments to view the skills of our students and after we view them, we give them feedback on what they need to work on. During the semester, I met with many of my students and helped them develop their skills, which led to two of my students having the best scores out of all the EXS 197 students.

Standard 6: Professionalism
Physical Education teacher candidates demonstrate dispositions essential to becoming effective professionals.


Just a few days ago, I received a letter from Dr. Couturier congratulating me on consistently showing excellent professional dispositions through out the semester. I will continue to demonstrate these dispositions as I continue my way to becoming a successful Physical Education teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment